Droving Cattle, Mums Funeral and New Days at Dalby.
Bill Kath was born on 20th July 1921 in Ellesmere near Kingaroy, Queensland, Australia. Second son to Fred and Helen Kath, he grew up with his five brothers Doug, Roly, Lloyd, Lyle Noel and sister Gweneth.
In the ’20’s and ’30’s the Ellesmere farm was home for the young family where Fred initially raised thoroughbred pigs, eventually moving into Jersey Dairy cattle along with various crops including peanuts. In the mid 1930’s the family moved to Dalby and continued dairy-farming and cropping. The dairy farm “Kathleigh” is still carried on by Bill’s grand-nephew, Andrew Kath at Gowrie Junction, just outside of Toowoomba.
This is the first of five audio pieces and the first of two parts of the early years. This episode is of the early days particularly at Ellesmere followed by the families move to Dalby, including the two day droving trip on horseback for the three oldest boys to get the dairy herd to their new home.
Bill tells us about growing up in the country without electricity, walking to school bare footed and a simpler but harder life before but including the introduction of electricity and automobiles.
Listen out for the story at the beginning of this episode of their Mum making Lloyd laugh through the use of a toy horse and a cat 🙂
To download this audio go to Archive.org.
- 2:20 Lloyd crying with the cat and toy horse.
- 5:20 Horse without bit in mouth.
- 7:40 Mums missing broach.
- 8:40 Bill driving the first car then Mum denting the front guard.
- 11:00 Possum skins.
- 12:00 Koala.
- 12:20 Honey Bees.
- 13:30 Uncle Ernie chops off his fingers and the missing pants.
- 16:40 Grand parents. Herman & Helen Minnie.
- 18:30 Lyle’s broken thigh, Lloyd’s broken leg and Bill’s broken collar bone.
- 22:00 Fred starts the dairy herd.
- 24:00 Droving the cattle to Dalby.
- 28:20 First day in Dalby.
- 29:30 Separator bell.
- 31:10 Milk usage.
- 32:40 Ellesmere house layout and Roly in the flour.
- 33:30 Wizard light.
- 34:30 Dalby house and 32 volt power.
- 37:40 Buying Dalby.
- 38:30 Breaking up land and living off top knot pigeons.
- 42:30 The best Jersey herd.
- 44:00 Building the tennis court.
- 45:00 Mums life and funeral.
- 48:45 Mum dies.
- 51:50 Andrew Fletcher
- 54:15 Grain growing.
- 58:00 Growing peanuts.